General tips for posting with wordpress:
Embedding images in your posts:
Getting images next to your name on the site
Gravatar – Globally Recognized Avatars – is a way to get your image in the comments and be able to tie a face to the name. It would be great if you could go get one, so we can make the interaction on the site feel more “face to face”. Just go to Gravatar.com and sign up with the same email you’re using in this blog. The image you upload there will appear in our blog and other blogs supporting Gravatar. as simple as that. Enjoy.
Embedding media inside your post
There are tons of web services that allow you to embed rich content on the page – video, audio, presentations, maps, whatever… Here is what you need to do to make them appear as a part of your post (it’s not bulletproof, but will work in most cases):
- Find the media you want to embed
- Copy the embed tag from the video/audio/map (it’s usually a line or several lines of code)
- Go to the editing window of your post
- Switch the view from ‘Visual’ to ‘HTML’ by clicking the ‘HTML’ tab on the top right side of the post authoring area.
- You will see your post text with some html tags (don’t panic)
- Paste the embed tag in your chosen location on the post
- Go back to ‘Visual’ mode and continue editing your post
- Save, check your post, hope for the best.
This is a simple way to embed video from some of the main video sites:
- Find a video on YouTube, Google Video, Metacafe, Vimeo or just a Quicktime or FLV file somewhere on the weborUpload your video to one of these services(if you prefer using another service let me know and I’ll give you specific directions to embedding on our blog)
- Copy the URL of the page where you found the video. For example:in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgL9IJMNsMw
- Click the add video button from the Visual post editor that corresponds to your video provider of choice (like )
- Paste the url in
- Click ok
Embed a slideshow presentation from Slideshare
- Go to Slideshare.com
- Upload / Find the slideshow you want to embed.
- copy the ‘embed wordpress.com’ tag
- paste anywhere on your page
- For instance, here is a slideshow by Trebor Scholz:
Sign up with Delicious.com and when you want to share links with the rest of us, simply post a link to delicious and tag it with the keyword nmrs – that will allow us to share those bookmarks and show them on the sidebar of our site. You might want to install the Deilicious plugin for firefox or other browsers, that would help you easily post easily from any page to your delicious account and also allow you to easily browse your bookmarks without having to visit delicious. If you still want to learn more, watch this video (delicious has since been redesigned but the principal is the same):